Support My Efforts By Visiting The Advertisers

Disclaimer

This is a personal blog. The opinions expressed here represent my own, not those of my employer and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual.

Attitude Towards Money

>> Sunday, August 26, 2012


Having just read an inspiring story of the interview with one of Prudential’s most successful manager in the Sunday Times today, a particular quote grew quite an impression on me. And that was his comment about his attitude towards money.


The common saying is that “Money is the root of all evil”. However, money is just a medium of exchange for goods and services. Providing a service as an employee or business person, money is the exchange for compensation and it is in turn used by the recipient to exchange for other goods and services for themselves. It is meant to facilitate convenience compared to constantly seeking a direct barter trade. So, is this medium evil?

Perhaps the more accurate meaning is “The GREED for money is the root of all evil”. And greed is an attitude towards money. There is a fine line between the positive seeking of wealth for what it can do and the obsession of lusting after material riches.

Focusing on the attitude of positive pursuit of money, the interviewee’s comment of “You live for what you love. If I love Prada bags and big houses and I work for it, it’s okay. And if I’m happy with the simple life, that’s ok too. But what’s not okay is if I want to live in a bungalow but not want to work for it.”

It reflects the mentality of putting into action this desire for wealth. I once wrote another article about the secret of being successful is simple. It is to stop dreaming and start taking action to achieve your goals. It is simple, in the way that it is not difficult to understand, but it is not easy. Taking this first step is the major hurdle, making it difficult to carry out.

Well, for myself, my character is very down to Earth and I recognize my shortcomings. I am satisfied with the expectations of a reasonably, simple life and I work towards achieving success within my means. Others can be more ambitious and achieve success by working extra hard for it; I am in fact happy and not jealous of them. The sour grapes will be in the last category mentioned in the quote, wishfully wanting the great life but not willingly to do anything about it.

Even from young, many already have that attitude. “I want the good grades but I am not willingly to work hard and study for it”. Then when results are poor because of a lack of effort, they start blaming the teachers, the textbooks, the notes, the parents, the weather being to hot to study, etc, except themselves.

So similarly, “I want to be rich, but I do not want to work hard for it”. They start blaming their parents, the job environment, the government, their bosses, their family, etc, and get frustrated, trapped in their disappointment to meet their expectations. Nothing improves and they remain where they are.

What is your attitude towards money?

This serves as a good reminder to me not to fall prey to my innate human laziness and would like to wish all success in your own pursuits! Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous August 27, 2012 at 9:28 AM  

Nice post and a great reminder. I agree that it takes hard work if one wants to succeed at anything, and nothing is impossible. Cheers!

ylfoo August 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM  

Hi,

The post reminds me of my current situation and where my goals are in life.

Apparently there is some way to go, and guess your post gets me going.

Thank you for the great post and good luck to you too!

Lau August 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM  

Thanks for the positive comments. It really encourages me to carry on contributing articles.

Guess this is a timely post to remind each other on the importance to stay focus to our goals in life.

Cheers!

Disclaimer

Privacy

The owner of this blog does not share personal information with third-parties nor does the owner store information is collected about your visit for use other than to analyze content performance through the use of cookies, which you can turn off at anytime by modifying your Internet browser’s settings. The owner is not responsible for the republishing of the content found on this blog on other Web sites or media without permission.

Blog Comments

The owner of this blog reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice due to;

1. Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam
2. Comments including profanity
3. Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive
4. Comments that attack a person individually

Terms and Conditions

All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.

This policy is subject to change at anytime.

About This Blog

To promote the education of individuals for the need to have a healthy lifestyle and wealth management through proper financial planning, particularly in investments.




Top Blogs


Awards

Top Sites

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP